Homemade yarn ornaments like these are easy to make and were popular in the 1960's and 1970's.
You will need:
- A couple yards each of yarn in black, red and green
- White glue
- needle and 6" nylon thread
1) Cut out the yarn ornament template (below) and trace it onto two pieces cardboard. Carefully cut the shapes out of the cardboard.
2) Lightly coat one piece of cardboard with white glue. Take a strand of the black yarn, and starting in the center, glue it to the outline of each point of the star, as shown in the picture. Cut and set excess yarn aside. Work two layers of the green yarn against the black outlines of each point (cut the yarn when you start on a new point). Finally, work red yarn in a spiral inside each section of green yarn.
If the glue gets too dry before you finish, re-apply another light coat of glue.
3) Repeat with the other piece of cardboard.
4) Glue the undecorated sides of the two pieces of cardboard together. To hide the edges where the cardboard pieces meet, apply a thin line of glue to the edges of the ornament and apply a strand of black yarn all the way around it.
5) To hang, use the needle to thread a 6" piece of nylon thread through the tip of one star point. Tie the thread ends.