Candied Fruit Peel
My grandmother used to make this out of grapefruit peel - it's a little different, but very addictive!
- Two large oranges or two small grapefruits
- 1 C sugar
- 1/4 C hot water
1) Wash and scrub the oranges or grapefruits well to remove any wax, dirt or preservatives. Remove the peels in quarters and slice into narrow strips.
2) Place peels in a saucepan, cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and drain. Repeat 5 times (this removes the bitterness from the rinds). Set peels aside.
3) Combine sugar and water in the saucepan and heat until the sugar dissolves.
4) Add the fruit peels to the sugar mixture and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the syrup is nearly evaporated.
5) Roll in granulated sugar
Chocolate Dipped Orange Sticks
Prepare candied orange peels as above. Melt 4 squares of bitter chocolate in the top of a double-boiler. Dip each orange peel in the melted chocolate and place on wax paper. Let stand for several hours or overnight, until the chocolate hardens.