This unique and intriguing vintage recipe dates back to the Edwardian (early 20th century) era.
- 1 C Molasses
- 1/2 C sour milk or cream (buttermilk or milk mixed with a tsp of lemon juice should also work)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 C sifted flour
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 oz Bakers chocolate
1) Mix together Molasses, sour milk or cream, ginger, cinnamon and salt. Dissolve baking soda in 1tsp cold water and add to mixture. Add in 2 Tbsp melted butter.
2) Melt together 1 Tbsp butter and 2 oz Bakers chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.
3) Add melted chocolate to the molasses mix. Stir in flour.
4) Pour mixture in to 3 well-buttered deep tins and bake in moderate a oven for about 20 minutes or until done.