The easy way to serve ham for your holiday? Start with one that's ready-to-bake, smoked or in a can. For the more adventurous, here's the traditional way to cook a ham - from scratch!
- 8-10 lb corned ham
- 1 tbsp allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 C brown sugar
- white of 1 egg
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- bread crumbs
1) Put ham in a large kettle (fat side up), cover with cold water and bring to a boil.
2) Skim liquid, add spices and 1/4 C brown sugar.
3) Reduce heat and simmer for 4 hours or until ham is tender.
4) Skin the ham (try to remove most of the fat) return to the kettle and let cool. Drain and dry with paper towels.
5) Beat egg white with mustard and remaining (3/4 C) brown sugar. Spread over ham and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
6) Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Serving: Serve with cooked fruit such as prunes, apple rings, etc.
1) Melt the butter and stir in the flour.
2) Add broth and simmer for about 30 minutes, until thick and smooth. Blend together cream and egg yolks and add to broth, stirring constantly.
3) Simmer for 5 minutes.
4) Garnish with truffle/mushroom slices and pimentos or cranberries and serve hot.