The much-maligned holiday fruit cake is an acquired taste! Rich, heavy and full of fruit, decadent and delicious when soaked in rum or brandy.
- 1 lb sifted flour
- 1 lb sugar
- 3/4 lb butter
- 4 lbs seedless raisins and 2 1/2 lbs currants
6 1/2 lbs any chopped, dried fruit (figs, dates, raisins ...)
- 1/4 lb chopped citron and 1/4 lb dried, candied orange peel
1/2 lb candied, dried fruit
- 1/4 lb flour (mix in a bowl with the fruit)
- 10 eggs, beaten separately
- 1/2 C grape juice
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon or combination of various spices (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice) to taste
1) Preheat oven to 250 F.
2) Mix all the fruit in a large bowl with the 1/4 C flour.
3) Combine all ingredients and pour into greased 9x5 loaf pans.
4) Cook at 250 F for 3 hours. If using smaller pans, cook for just 2 hours, or until done.
Makes 6 2-lb cakes