Ginger Spice Cookies
These thin, crisp cookies can also be iced with a simple confectioner's sugar glaze.
1/2 C molasses (unsulphured)
1/3 C dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 C vegetable shortening
2-1/4 C all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1) Combine brown sugar, molasses and shortening in a saucepan and heat, stirring frequently, until the shortening is melted and the mixture is smooth. Allow to cool.
2) In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and spices (cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg and cloves). Stir in the molasses mixture from step #1, and work together with the back of a spoon until well blended. Place the dough on wax paper and shape into a ball. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or more.
3) Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease and flour two large cookie sheets.
4) Take a quarter of the dough and roll very thin (1/16" -1/8" ) with a floured rolling pin on a lightly-floured surface. Cut into shapes with decorative 2" cookie cutters..
5) Place cookies on cookie sheets, leaving about 1" between them. Re-roll and re-cut the trimmings.
6) Bake at 375 F for 5 minutes or until the edges of the cookies just start to brown. Cool on wire racks.
Makes about 6 dozen