These small, melt-in-your-mouth, butter cookies with a dab of fruit jelly in the center are always a favorite on holiday cookie platters!
- 2 sticks (1 C) of butter or margerine, softened
- 1/2 C plus 1-1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2-1/4 C all purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 C apricot, raspberry or other fruit preserves. Preserves containing seeds (raspberry, strawberry, etc.) should be sieved.
1) Preheat oven to 300 F.
2) In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla until light and fluffy. Stir in flour to make a stiff dough.
3) Roll dough, 1/4 at a time, to a thickness of about 1/4" on a lightly floured surface, using a floured rolling pin.
4.) Cut cookies with a 1" cookie cutter and place about 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Re-roll and cut all trimmings, repeat with the remainder of the dough.
5) Press into the center of each cookie with the back of a teaspoon to make a small depression, Spoon about 1/4 tsp preserves into each hollow.
6) Bake in preheated oven for 18 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Cool on wire racks and store in a covered container.
Instead of the preserves, substitute one of the following in the center of each cookie:
- Maraschino cherry halves
- A few pieces of candied, diced fruit
- Almond slivers
- Glazed pecan halves