Meringues, also known as kisses, are so easy to make! Variations on the basic recipe are limited only by your imagination.
- Whites of 4 eggs (must be very fresh!)
- 1-1/4 C powdered sugar or 1 C granulated sugar
1) Beat egg whites until stiff, gradually add 2/3 of the sugar.
2) Continue beating until the mixture holds it's shape when dropped from a spoon. Fold in the remaining sugar.
3) Drop tablespoons of the mixture from a spoon onto cookie sheets, about 1/2" apart.
4) Bake in a very slow oven with decreasing heat for 50 minutes or until dry. (If the cookies brown, the temperature was too high)
Fruit and Nut Kisses - Add chopped nuts and fruits (dates, raisins or figs), using 1 oz of fruits/nuts for each egg white.
Coconut Kisses - Make as above, folding in 1/4 lb shredded coconut.
Chocolate Kisses - As above, but stir in 2 Tbsp cocoa.