Roast Christmas Goose
Goose was often the centerpiece of holiday feasts, particularly in Germany. For a traditional Christmas dinner, serve with potatoes and red cabbage cooked with apples and onions.
- 1 10-12 lb goose, ready to cook
- lemon juice
- stuffing (see below)
1) Rub interior and exterior of goose with salt and lemon juice and let stand for 1 hour.
2) Stuff body cavity and neck with stuffing (recipe below) and pin closed.
3) Place on roasting pan rack, add a cup of warm water and steam over moderate heat for about 45 minutes. (You should hear the fat sizzling.) Then, place, uncovered in a 325 oven for about 4 hours or until done (use a meat thermometer to check internal temperature).
- 8 slices of bread
- 2 C milk
- 1C chopped onion
- 1Tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Goose giblets (heart and liver), cooked and chopped
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 chopped apple
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Soak bread in milk. Squeeze out extra moisture and crumble.
2) Saute onion and parsley in butter until onion is transparent. Stir in bread mixture.
3) Mix together giblets, apple and egg yolks.
4) Combine the two mixtures and add sage, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
5) Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.