Italian Tortellini Soup (Tortellini in Brodo)
Simple pasta in broth, served at Christmas dinner in Italy. You can do this the easy way (packaged/frozen tortellini cooked and served in chicken broth) or if you're ambitious you can make your own tortellini, like the meat tortellini described below.
- 1C Flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Italian sweet sausage, cooked and finely chopped
- 1/2 C cooked minced chicken
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmen
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 quarts chicken broth
1) Mix flour and salt
2) Make a "well" in the flour and pour in the 4 beaten eggs.
3) Using your hands or a wooden spoon, slowly mix together flour and eggs. Knead until smooth and elastic - until the mixture can be rolled out to a thickness of 1/8". You may need to add a little more flour or water.
4) On a floured board, roll out dough to 1/8" thickness and cut into 2" squares. It's easiest to do this using only about 1/3 of the dough at a time.
5) Combine remaining ingredients (except the broth) and mix well to form a thick paste.
6) Shape meat mixture into small balls and place one on each square of dough.
7) Brush dough edges with water, fold into a triangle and press edges together. Bring 2 corners of each triangle together to form a circle.
8) Place tortellini on a floured cloth or surface and let stand overnight to dry.
9) To make soup, boil chicken broth and add tortellini. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes. Garnish with parsley and grated cheese.